From the desk of The Movie Snob.
Ant-Man (B). How cool is it to be Paul Rudd? He’s not a megastar or a megahunk like Brad Pitt or Bradley Cooper or Channing Tatum. He generally plays ordinaryish guys in comedies or romantic comedies. And yet, he’s gotten to play opposite quite a few of Hollywood’s loveliest leading ladies. I present my case:
• Rachel Weisz (The Shape of Things)
• Alicia Silverstone (Clueless)
• Rashida Jones (I Love You, Man)
• Elizabeth Banks, Zooey Deschanel, and Emily Mortimer (Our Idiot Brother) (Okay, so these ladies played his sisters. Still, he probably got to hang out with them a lot.)
• Jennifer Aniston (Wanderlust)
And now he gets to play a Marvel superhero opposite Evangeline Lilly (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug). Admittedly, their characters spend their scenes together sparring instead of smooching, but still. Anyhoo, this is an entertaining and mostly lighthearted superhero movie in which Rudd’s character gets a suit that lets him shrink to ant size and some other equipment that lets him communicate with and control his ant minions. Michael Douglas (Ghosts of Girlfriends Past) also stars as the inventor of the suit. Michael Peña (Fury) steals every scene he’s in as Rudd’s motormouthed sidekick Luis. Watch carefully and you’ll see Captain America’s girlfriend in one scene.